Apple unveiled a ‘revolutionary’ new wireless speaker for homes with amazing audio quality which uses spatial awareness to sense its location in a room and automatically adjusts the audio. The HomePod will play music while also helping people managing their lives and homes. It is the first new device that Apple has announced after several years. It last unveiled the Apple Watch in 2014.
The price of HomePod will be $349 and will hit the market from December 2017. It will first be available in U.S., U.K. and Australia. It will be available in markets in other countries from the next year. It will have access to over 40 million songs and has deep knowledge of personal music preference and tastes and helps user discover new types of music.
Fully loaded with Apple-designed woofer for deep, clean bass, a custom array of seven beam-forming tweeters which provides pure high-frequency acoustics with incredible directional control and powerful technologies built to preserve the richness and intent of the original recordings.
Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing says, “Apple reinvented portable music with iPod and now HomePod will reinvent how we enjoy music wirelessly throughout our homes”. He added, “HomePod packs powerful speaker technology, Siri intelligence and wireless access to the entire Apple Music library into a beautiful speaker that is less than 7 inches tall, can rock most any room with distortion free music and be a helpful assistant around your home”.
It is designed for voice control, packed with six microphones, users can interact with it from across the room, even while playing the loud music. Being a home assistant HomePod is a great way to send messages, get updates on news, sports and weather, or control smart home devices by simply asking Siri to turn on the lights, close the shades or activate a scene. When away from home, HomePod is the perfect home hub, providing remote access and home automations through the Home app on iPhone or iPad.
With size of just 7 inches, It has hardware and software which belongs to the future. Some of them are:
- With Apple-designed roof facing woofer along with custom A8 chip, has bass management through real-time software modeling which makes sure that the speaker delivers the deepest and the cleanest bass with least possible distortion.
- Custom array of seven beam-forming tweeters , each having its own amplifier, provides well balanced sound along with precise directional control of multitude of beam shapes and sizes.
- Apple A8 chip is the brains behind the advanced product.
- Automatic room sensing technology, allows HomePod to quickly assess its position, be it the center of the room or corner, within seconds is perfectly optimized to deliver an immersive music listening experience wherever it is placed.
- Six array of mics with echo cancellation enables Siri to understand people whether they are near the device or away from it, HomePod is able to listen to people even when loud music is being played.
Security and Privacy are of utmost importance for Apple hardware, software and services. Any information, which is saved locally on the device, will be sent to the Apple servers, encrypted using an anonymous Siri identifier.
Size, Weight, and Color
- 6.8 inches high (172 mm)
- 5.6 inches wide (142 mm)
- 5.5 pounds (2.5 kg)
- Space Gray
- High-excursion woofer with custom amplifier
- Array of seven horn-loaded tweeters, each with its own custom amplifier
- Six-microphone array for far-field Siri and room sensing
- Internal low-frequency calibration microphone for automatic bass correction
- Direct and ambient audio beam forming
- Transparent studio-level dynamic processing.
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO
- Multiroom speaker support with AirPlay 23
English (Australia, UK, U.S.)